04 October, 2011

Finally invested in a dedicated NAS

I've been using my old Linux desktops as a NAS but because of noise level and running it 24/7 never seem making much sense.
Every time I need to retrieve a file I has to boot it up which of course takes time causing inconvenience.
Now I've bought a 4 bay NAS, it's small and quiet, running non stop making it a true data repository.
Furthermore, I'll secure it and allowing connections from internet, it'll become my personal Cloud service. My current ISP provides me with static IP address without extra charge, saving me the trouble of setting up Dynamic DNS service. Now my files can be accessed from anywhere as long as I got internet connection.
This opens the option of choosing a notebook with a small storage capacity SSD. I guess that MacAir won't be ruled out due its insufficient data storage. However, my biggest reservation against choosing Air, is that it's a Mac! Although I can dual booting it with Linux but using a Mac is somehow irksome to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment